Nut Butter Brownies
These are extra-moist brownies that are whole grain and have no added oil. The nut butter and applesauce give it a
fudge-like texture for an extra-special chocolate treat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time:30 minutes
Yield: 12 brownies
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax meal and water. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, blend the coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, nut butter, applesauce, and flax meal mixture
- In a third bowl, combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet mixture and stir to
- Fold in the vegan chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack before slicing.